
Hey everyone,
I moved to US when I was 16 and it's been more than 10 years. My parents are also coming but they want to just hang out with the family in Kathmandu. They don't own any property there so they are staying with my aunt and uncle. I'm traveling back to Nepal with my wife and her family who are from US and I have a few questions. Most of my cousins also live outside Nepal so I don't have many resources I can reach out to for help.
(1) What should I make sure my wife and her family know about the culture / Nepal ? I tried explaining the concept of "jutho", mentioned the pollution and smog issue in Kathmandu but anything else?
(2) We'd like to travel to Pokhara for a week and maybe do at least one trek. We are thinking about flying so any recommendation on which airline? Also, should I book from US or wait until we get there? Any recommendations on which trek (May time frame)? Wouldn't mind paying for a car ride so we only trek one way and save time on the way back. Any idea how much this will cost? Can we just trek on our own without a guide? I mean I'm decent with maps and can do all the communication.
(3) Any recommendation on where to stay in Kathmandu? I've looked at Air Bnb's and hotels but was more tempted by Air Bnb's. I grew up near Mangal Bazar and Thamel (dad vs mom's family) so I'm thinking around that area but would love to take other recommendations.
(4) Do places take credit cards? Amex and visa? Would you recommend just carrying cash? What stuff should I book in advance and what things will be a rip off if booked online from US vs just paying cash there?
(5) What's the best way to get around? I know uber is not a thing and I doubt my wife's family will enjoy riding micros (how I used to get around when I was a teenager). Are taxi's the best way?
(6) Since I haven't been back in such a long time, anything I should be aware of to prepare beforehand?
The post Some questions about traveling to Nepal appeared on Nepal123.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment